What you can expect to learn from this letter:
- How to make jalapeño sweet potato beer bread muffins
- How to pickle your own jalapeños
Howdy Katherine, howdy ya’ll!
I love that we kicked off September with the BBQ sides & sauces theme because while the BBQ plays into the depth of the leading role, the side dishes really add to the breadth of the BBQ as a whole and is the glue that holds the entire meal together.
So, I was incredibly inspired by our awesome trip to Austin, Texas together that I couldn’t wait to get experimenting. Now that we have this new direction and drive, I’m just super pumped about our new theme for this month! I just wanted to experiment in the kitchen on this simple side dish that utilizes some of the most basic ingredients we have at home.
As you may already know, I’m a baker and as much as I love pies, I also prefer muffins to loaves of bread, so I decided to make some tasty muffins with a kick! Behold, the jalapeño sweet potato beer bread muffins! I know, it’s such a mouthful to say, but it’s a delicious mouthful of muffins so no complaints here!
Adding beer to your bread muffins is an easy way to give the flavor of “I took the time to bake a yeast-risen bread” without actually spending all that time lol. This easy quick rise muffin bread with homemade pickled jalapeños has a dense but delicious texture that’s meant for pairing with your BBQ, dipping it in sauces or chili or something. Try this muffin with some butter or even some cheese for an afternoon snack (**pssst~secret~I added some sharp cheddar cheese into this muffin). Anyway, I think while BBQ may be the main event, the sides and sauces play a pivotal role in bringing the protein packed meaty meal together. So, this side could easily command the attention of food lovers who enjoy a good savory & sweet muffin bread in their lives.
Let me list the ingredients in bullet points below… These are some simple standard ingredients you should have in your kitchen; if not, each of these items is super inexpensive (all items are under $4).
- Flour. All purpose flour (3 cups flour)
- Sugar. Granulated cane sugar (1 TBS sugar)
- Butter. Unsalted butter melted (4 TBS = Half stick of butter – MELT IT)
- Jalapeño peppers. you can get a pound of these peppers for $0.99 (Chopped pickled 1/2 cup = around 2 oz)
- Sweet potato or yam. only $1.99 (1 cup)
- Beer. One bottle of PBR or whatever 12oz bottle of beer you have (I used an IPA).
- Bakingpowder. (1TBS) Not to be confused with baking soda lol various versions there’s a great explanation about the difference between baking soda vs baking powder.
Game plan – Directions below:
- PREHEAT OVEN to 350°F. Put on middle rack. Coat muffin pan with butter.
- WHISK IT BABY! Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl until aerated and any large lumps are broken up and then set aside.
- DID YOU REMEMBER TO MELT THE BUTTER?
- ADD ALL THE GOOD STUFF. Add beer, cooked&chopped sweet potato, pickled jalapeños, and 4 tablespoons of that melted butter to the flour mixture. Stir until the flour is just incorporated (do not overmix). The batter will be chunky & thick.
- Scrape the batter into the buttered muffin pan, push it all into the spot and smooth the top. SURPRISE! If you have any cheese laying around in your fridge, cut some up and stick it into the center of those muffins!
- Bake these yummy muffins at 350°F until they’re golden and until a toothpick inserted into the centers come out clean (~30min).
- Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes, then remove them from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
I also pickled my own jalapeños. It was super easy and I can share that with you here.
Here’s how to pickle jalapenos:Jalapeños. Slice up about four jalapenos (they should look like little circles)
- Carrots. Slice up two carrots (or only one carrot depends on you)
- Onions or Bell peppers. I chopped up bell peppers because I like sweet stuff.
- White vinegar (1cup).
- Water (1cup).
- Seasonings such as: Salt (1TSP), Sugar (1TSP), Oregano (dried 1/2TSP), Garlic Salt (1TSP), Onion Salt (1TSP), Lemon Pepper (1TSP)
- So throw in all your chopped vegetables into the mason jar.
- Put all the liquids and seasonings into a microwave safe bowl and microwave 2-3minutes. Then pour that into the mason jar filled with your cut veggies!
- Let cool to room temperature, then cap and refrigerate! Or, in my case, use in the muffin bread I’m baking! Whatever makes your bread rise.
Jalapeño sweet potato beer bread muffins in the oven (Preheat oven to 350F)!
Final product came out pretty tasty and textured. These jalapeño sweet potato beer bread muffins are the perfect side dish to any BBQ. Definitely recommend dipping into some good sauces or chilli or to be enjoyed with your BBQ meat. Hope you had fun reading this because I sure had fun making this! Hope you’re inspired to try on your own too!
This video of the finished final product pretty much sums it up below:
] ] ] ]
Until next week, bon appétit!